Wednesday 9 March 2016

Day 1 Footage Review

I looked over the footage we recorded this week to see what is useable or not. Some of the footage that was recorded handheld was way too shaky to be used. Also some of the footage was not in focus. I noticed that some of the footage we supposedly recorded was missing, as it seemed like the camera person had forgot to press record. I understand that this is an easy mistake to make, but from now on we must be careful to avoid such mistakes. As a director I should make sure that everything looks okay before filming.

Most of what we filmed was quite good as we captured lots of skateboarders performing tricks. These would all make great cutaway footage.


I placed all the short cuts into a bin so that the footage would be easily accessible. Moreover it means that the editor wouldn't have to look through all the footage again, he'd just have to select the best cuts to put together. I roughly cut together some similar shots from different angles in order to create a match on action effect. I will leave it down to the editor to tighten up the sequence.


Additionally, I used the rest of the cutaway footage to put into a sequence that we could use for our pilot. This included some ambiguous shots for example of a lamp post with skate shoes off of it. This will set the tone for our documentary as it represents skating culture. I think the pilot should be slow paced with a voice over in order to show 'equilibrium'. However a lot of the shots we had were quite fast, following the action of the skateboarders. I think that in our next shoot, we should record some more ambiguous and establishing shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment